A moderate hike especially for persons attempting to hike at an altitude exceeding 4000m for the first time. This particular itinerary affords the mountain climbers a moderate hiking opportunity through the 2 most well developed trails with the best infrastructure on Mount Kenya. It is designed in such away that both the pace of ascend and descend are comfortable to allow the hikers to enjoy their time while on the Mountain.
- Day 1: Flight – Nairobi (1680mts).
- Day 2: Nairobi – Mount Kenya – Old moses Hut (3340mts).
- Day 3: Old moses Hut – Shipton’s camp (4200mts).
- Day 4: Shipton’s camp – Lenana Peak (4985mts) – Mackinder’s Hut (4300mts).
- Day 5: Mackinder’s Hut – Met Station (3030mts) – back to Nairobi.
IN FLIGHT OR ARRIVAL IN KENYA.
Depending on the flight; some arrive today while others arrive tomorrow morning.
If you arrive to day, You will be met by our staff on arrival at Nairobi Airport. Mostly it will be at night and you will have had dinner in the flight. You will be transferred to the reserved hotel for overnight stay, which is booked on Bed and Breakfast and it is at extra cost.
The airport is approximately 20-35 minutes drive to Most of the hotels depending on traffic.
Nairobi is the capital city of Kenya. The name “Nairobi” comes from the Maasai phrase “Enkare Nyirobi”, which translates to “the place of cool waters”. Founded in 1899 as a simple rail depot on the railway linking Mombasa to Uganda, the town quickly grew to become the capital of British East Africa in 1907 and eventually the capital of a free Kenyan republic in 1963. Nairobi is the most populous city in East Africa, with a current estimated population of about 5 million.
At 1,795 metres (5,889 ft) above sea level, Nairobi enjoys a moderate climate. Nairobi has a Subtropical Highland climate.
Nairobi is nicknamed the Safari Capital of the World, and has many spectacular hotels to cater for safari-bound tourists.
NAIROBI – MOUNT KENYA – OLD MOSES HUT (3340Mts)
Depart from Nairobi by 07.30hrs headed for Nanyuki. The drive will take you approximately 3 hrs and pass through agricultural country. You will arrive in time for lunch at mountain Rock lodge. Mountain Rock Lodge is an old country hotel at the base of the forest on the western slopes of Mt Kenya at an altitude 2,000m. After lunch is a full briefing and equipment check before we begin the transfer to the mountain. It takes about one hour to get to the Sirimon Park Gate (2600m) crossing the equator en-route. Sirimon gate marks the start of the Sirimon route. It is here you will meet with the mountain crew (Guide, Porters and Cook) – each one has a personal porter and there are extra porters for mountain equipment and food.
From here is an interesting 2.5 hours walk through Forest, bamboo, rosewood and heather zones to Old Moses camp (3340m). Accommodation today will be at the Old Moses mountain hut (3340m).
- DRIVE DISTANCE: Nairobi to Sirimon Park Gate is 220 Km.
- DRIVE TIME: Drive time from Nairobi to Sirimon Park Gate is 5 hours.
- HIKE : Afternoon Hike from Sirimon Park Gate to Old Moses hut – 10km
- HIKING TIME: 2-3 hrs.
- Dinner and overnight will be Old Moses mountain hut.
OLD MOSES HUT – SHIPTON’S CAMP (4200 mts)
Leaving after breakfast. Today is a long 6.5 hours hike to Shipton’s mountain hut (4200 mts). Leaving early, we traverse the expansive moorlands carpeted with tussock grasses and dotted with the unique Giant lobelia and Senecio plants, crossing streams and valleys. Today’ trek is largely through the Mackinder Valley, with good views of the main peaks and a brief stopover for picnic lunch.
- HIKING DISTANCE: 16km
- HIKING TIME: 6-7 hrs.
- ALTITUDE CHANGE. Old Moses hut (3340m) to Shipton’s camp (4200 mts)
- ACCOMMODATION: We will stay at Shipton’s mountain hut (4200 mts)
- MEALS: Lunch will be picnic. Dinner and overnight will be at Shipton’s hut.
SHIPTON’S CAMP – POINT LENANA PEAK (4985Mts) – MACKINDER’S CAMP (4300Mts)
Predawn attempt of the summit starts at 03.00 or 04.00hrs and you hike for about 2.5 hours up steep scree slopes and across rugged rocks to Point Lenana summit – 4985mts. It is planned that you arrive in time to witness the African Sun rise as it reflect its golden glow on the Majestic peaks of Batian and Nelion over the equator. On a clear day you can see the snow capped summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro miles away to the south. After celebrating the achievement descend down through Lewis Glacier up to the Austrian hut to join to the Naromoru track and descend for 2 hours to Mackinder’s camp for breakfast then relax the rest of the day. Dinner and overnight at Mackinder’s Camp (4300m)
- HIKING DISTANCE: 7 km
- HIKING TIME: 5-6 hrs.
- ALTITUDE CHANGE: Shipton’s Camp 4200mts to Point Lenana 4985Mts. and down to Mackinder’s 4300Mts.
- ACCOMMODATION: Stay at Mackinder’s hut.(4300mts). (A Mountain hut with bed and mattress).
- MEALS: Lunch, Dinner and overnight will be Mackinder’s Hut.
MACKINDER’S HUT (4300Mts) – NAROMORU PARK GATE (2600 Mts) – NAIROBI.
After an early breakfast, begin a 3-4 hour descent to Met Station (3030mts). The descent is gentle and it offers ample time to enjoy fascinating scenery. From Met Station is another 2 hours walk down to the Naromoru Park gate (2600m) where we meet the vehicle that will take us via a hotel at the base of Mount Kenya for a quick shower to freshen up before driving back to Nairobi. After the refreshing break we proceed on to Nairobi arriving in the late afternoon. You will be dropped at Nairobi airport to connect with your flight back home.
- WALKING DISTANCE: 22 km
- WALKING TIME: 5-6 hrs.
- ALTITUDE CHANGE: Mackinder’s Camp 4300mts. to Met Station 3030Mts. and down to Naromoru park gate 2600Mts.
- DRIVE DISTANCE: Naromoru park gate to Nairobi is 200km.
- DRIVE TIME: Drive time to Nairobi is 4.5 hours.
- MEALS: Lunch will be at Mountain Rock Lodge.